Altran is the global leader in Engineering and R&D services. Altran works alongside its clients, from initial concept through industrialization, to invent the products and services of tomorrow. Altran is an established supplier of skilled manpower to ESA and in particular at ESTEC.
The candidate we are looking for will operate as Frequency Management System Engineer in The Engineering Support to the Directorate of to Earth Observation. His duty station will be the European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC) based in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
What you will do
- Identification of technology requirements, providing support to technology developments, and general coordination for technology for future Earth Observation missions. A solid collaboration with the other divisions in the EO directorate and ESA’s Technical directorate is essential for this work.
- Analysis and monitoring of the evolution of frequency needs for EO missions, including early concepts and potential interference conflicts with other communication services sharing the spectrum. The nature of the work requires a solid collaboration with other sections/divisions in the EOP directorate, with the ESA Frequency Management Office and with representatives from industry and from other space agencies.
- Analyzing requirements and constraints of EO missions under preparation with respect to frequency allocation and interference
- Providing specific support to preparatory activities and to projects to an extent to be determined case-by-case
- Monitoring the evolving frequency needs of future EO missions, including early concepts, and potential conflicts with competing areas
- Participating in the work of technical committees relevant for EO in the framework of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), the European Conference of Postal & Telecommunications Administrations (CEPT) and the Space Frequency Coordination Group (SFGG)
- Conducting studies to support the ESA position in the above mentioned committees
- Performing technical studies and analyses related to frequency spectrum management and interference assessment
- Developing and using RFI simulation software tools (typically based on STK, Excel with VBA and Matlab), to conduct sharing bands and compatibility analysis between services, in line with ITU recommendations.
- Reporting on frequency management matters and contributing to reports to Delegate Bodies coordinating with the ESA Frequency Management Office
- Supporting the identification of the technology requirements for future Earth observations missions
- Supporting missions under preparation through, e.g. participation to reviews, assessment of industrial results, evaluation of proposals in reply to calls
What you will bring
The ideal candidate has a Master degree or equivalent qualification in Electrical or Electronics or Telecom Engineering.
In particular experience with:
- Satellite systems, space projects and associated sub-system technology developments.
- Simulation tools, including Matlab, Excel with VBA and STK
- Microwave remote sensing techniques used in Earth Observation missions.
- Knowledge of Radio Regulations
This position requires regular travelling to participate to frequency management international fora, technical committees and working groups (e.g. ITU WRC, CEPT, SFCG).
What we will offer
- A permanent contract with a competitive salary
- Flexible secondary conditions
- Extensive training programs through our Altran Academy
- Training to improve efficiency and provide strength for future career are of course included.
As global leader in innovation and high-tech engineering consulting, we work side by side with our clients in the creation and development of new products and services. We are on the cutting edge of technology and have established ourselves as the go-to partner for technical innovation and process improvement. Altran is proud to be the leader in its field.