Altran is the global leader in Engineering and R&D services. Altran works alongside its clients, from initial concept through industrialization, to invent the products and services of tomorrow. Altran is an established supplier of skilled manpower to ESA and in particular at ESTEC.
The candidate will operate as GNC Systems Engineer in the Engineering Support to the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality Directorate of ESA. The candidate will support the ESTEC GNC Section for the development of space transportation GNC systems. This comprises, flight vehicles ranging from Expandable Launchers, Reusable Launch Vehicles RLV's as well as Ascenders and Landers for Exploration applications. The work will be performed at the European Space Technology and Research Centre (ESTEC) at Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
What you will do
- Address the multidisciplinary/physics and high-fidelity End to End vehicle dynamics modelling with implementation in 6DoF simulation environments (Matlab, Simulink, DSpace).
- The candidate must have a track record in the design of classical space transportation GNC systems including Thrust Vector Control/Attitude Control Systems.
- Mastering of advanced multivariable GNC design and verification approaches for the stability and performance robustness analysis is a prerequisite.
- Daily support and independent expert analyses shall be provided to the development of ongoing and future ascender and descender systems including micro-launchers, re-entry systems, re-usable VTVL Systems in atmospheric and orbital flight on current ESA Simulation and Verification Platforms.
- Specific GNC design tasks shall include detailed flight mechanics, environment, aero-dynamics, structures, propulsion, actuator and sensor system modelling.
- The candidate shall perform system sizing, requirements capture, architecture conception, advanced GNC design as well as performance and SW validation analyses.
- Support shall be given to the conception of new Mission Vehicle and Flight Management (MVMS) Systems towards incremental Flight Autonomy.
- The MVMS architectures shall include Advanced Monitoring and Reconfiguration Systems (FDIR) as well as state-of the art Flight SW based on Robust Adaptable Control & Real-Time Optimised Guidance Strategies.
- New efficient validation Advanced Analysis Tools must be mastered to drastically improve the gaps and shortcomings of current validation approaches.
- The post holder shall provide regular Technical Reporting of the GNC Design and Analysis as well as contribute in the preparation and execution of project and technology studies reviews.
What you will bring
- The ideal candidate has a Master's degree in Engineering, proficient in the English language, both written and spoken, and gained minimum 4 of experience in the design, tuning, analysis and simulation of GNC systems in different project phases.
- Proven knowledge of modern control design methods, commercial model-based design tools (MATLAB).
- Experience with rapid-prototyping of hardware-in-the-loop systems.
- Ability to interface with industry.
- For this position, a work permit for The Netherlands is required.
What we will offer
- A permanent contract with a competitive salary
- Flexible secondary conditions
- Extensive training programs through our Altran Academy
As global leader in innovation and high-tech engineering consulting, we work side by side with our clients in the creation and development of new products and services. We are on the cutting edge of technology and have established ourselves as the go-to partner for technical innovation and process improvement. Altran is proud to be the leader in its field