Altran is the global leader in Engineering and R&D services. Altran works alongside its clients, from initial concept through industrialization, to invent the products and services of tomorrow. Altran is an established supplier of skilled manpower to ESA and in particular at ESTEC.
The candidate we are looking for will operate as Safety Engineer in the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality area, under the Organizational Unit TEC-QI – Independent Safety Office. His duty station will be the European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC) based in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
Main duties will include:
- Provide safety engineering support to the ISS flight operations team;
- Provide support to ESA and users operations team for the correct interpretation and implementation of applicable ISS mission safety requirements;
- Provide safety engineering support to definition and approval of ISS maintenance operations;
- Provide safety-engineering support during mission preparation and execution for anomalies and unplanned maintenance;
- Provide technical support for interpretation of safety requirements, and for impact evaluation of new/revised requirements;
- Provide safety assessment of on-orbit anomalies. Support Columbus Anomaly Response Team (CART), Material Review Boards (MRB), failure investigations as required;
- Perform training activities as required;
- Support the review of Integrated Experiment Hazard Analysis (IEHA);
- Ensure that Operational Hazard Control Matrix (OHCM) database / LISA tables are updated by Industry/USOCs;
- Support the verification of ESA Operations Hazard Control ( eOCAD) Implementation by Operational teams;
- Support NASA Mission Evaluation Room (MER) Safety and NASA Flight Operations Directorate safety for approval of maintenance operations;
- Support the Operations Data File (ODF) and Mission Action Request MAR/CHIT process and related approvals;
- Perform safety of flight briefing and post flight lessons learned exercise.
Specific Qualification Requirements:
- Clear and focused communication skills;
- Capacity to handle complex situation and complex environment;
- Extensive and proven knowledge of ESA ISS operations;
- Proven knowledge and experience in ESA Product Assurance and Safety;
- Extensive knowledge of system safety engineering principle, methods and processes;
- Detailed knowledge of system engineering key principle, methods and procedures;
- Knowledge of ESA and NASA safety certification process, including verification methods and procedures;
- Knowledge of ESA ISS Operations and its environment;
- Knowledge of the way safety data are generated, validated and retained in support of the program safety certification and follow up operations, including astronaut’s awareness and training as necessary;
- Extended understanding of the hazards which are intrinsic of a system and/or induced by space operations, and the way they are either eliminated or controlled;
- Detailed knowledge of the ISS system, subsystems and payloads/experiments, of safety requirements and of their implementation constraints.
- The selected candidate will receive a permanent contract with Altran Netherlands and a fair remuneration in line with ESA Job Class.
- Will be registered for both social security and tax in the Netherlands.
- The standard working hours are 40 per week. There are 12 public holidays and an additional 30 annual days’ holiday.
- Training to improve efficiency and provide strength for future career are included.