Do you want to play a role in optimizing space systems which helps us to better understand our planet earth? Do you have a background in Optical Engineering with a huge passion for spacecraft systems? Then join our team of Innovation Makers as an Optical Performance Engineer!
Altran is the global leader in Engineering and R&D services. Altran works alongside its clients, from initial concept through industrialization, to invent the products and services of tomorrow. Altran is an established supplier of skilled manpower to ESA and in particular at ESTEC.
The candidate we are looking for will operate as Optical Performance Engineer and will support the Space Segment Performance Engineering activities within Earth Observation. The work will be performed at the European Space Technology and Research Centre (ESTEC) at Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
What you will do
- The development, implementation and validation of (complex) performance models of optical space-borne instruments, in particular passive (spectrometers) instruments, dedicated to atmospheric missions;
- The assessment of the instruments system performance as well as sub-systems contributing to the instruments performances;
- The contribution to meetings within ESA, industry and potentially with users;
- The Contractor will report to the Instrument Manager. He/she will liaise with various members of the project team, being responsible for the various instrument subsystems and disciplines, e.g. optics, focal plane assembly, calibration. With regard to the mission performance assessment it is expected that the incumbent also liaises with the science support team, where adequate, to support both the mission related scientific studies and the instrument design evolution.
What you will bring
- A Master degree or equivalent qualification in Physics or Engineering with a background in Optical Engineering;
- Knowledge and experience with computer programs such as Excel, MathCAD and MATLAB and/or Python;
- Good familiarity with optical design and performance assessment software like Zemax, ASAP, FRED, with specific emphasis on straylight simulation aspects;
- Good communication skills; and fluent in the English language (spoken and written); knowledge of other languages is an asset
- Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team within the boundaries of assigned tasks and a stringent schedule;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the outside world.
What we will offer
- A permanent contract with a competitive salary
- A variable bonus plan
- A mobility budget
- Flexible secondary conditions
- Extensive training programs through our Altran Academy
- A yearly personal innovations budget