Altran is the global leader in Engineering and R&D services. Altran works alongside its clients, from initial concept through industrialization, to invent the products and services of tomorrow. Altran is an established supplier of skilled manpower to ESA and in particular at ESTEC.
The candidate we are looking for will operate as Software Systems Engineer in The Engineering Support to the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality. His duty station will be the European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC) based in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
What you will do
- The candidate will be assigned to the Ground Software Systems and Functional Verification Section of the Software Systems Division. He/She will provide on demand expertise in activities related to EGSE systems:
- Project (such as eSail, PLATO) support on the procurement, development and utilisation of EGSE systems, including problem solving, interfaces with external systems and project reviews.
- Project support for Ground Software Systems, such as the EarthCare Operational Scientific Ground Segment development, Level 0, 1 and 2 data processing, visualisation. This includes generic software engineering, software development support, collaborative software development environment support, software acceptance (compilation, installation, running tests).
- Support on R&D studies, specifically related to the (currently under development) European Ground System Common Core (EGS-CC), which will be the basis of the future Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE) and Mission Control Systems (MCS) infrastructures in Europe.
- Maintenance and future developments of the EGSE Reference Facility as part of the Software Systems Laboratory. This includes software builds and integration of industrial elements to the EGSE reference facility as well as the functional verification in end-to-end scenarios, maintenance of an EGSE software library/configuration management/lab website, evaluation of needs and generation of requirements for enhancements.
- Support Standardization activities in the EGSE domain (e.g. E70-30 Monitoring and Control Data Definition, E70-32 Test and Operations Language, E70-41 PUS, E10-23 Space System Data Repository).
What you will bring
- A Master degree or equivalent qualification in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, Space Systems Engineering, Mathematics or a related discipline
- The candidate shall have extensive practical experience of implementing and building complex software systems in the space domain, in developing and utilizing EGSEs, in modelling monitoring and control data in compliance with the ESA monitoring and control systems (legacy systems such as SCOS or future systems such as EGS-CC.
- Knowledge of modern software engineering practices and standards applied to real-time systems.
- Knowledge of Space Systems and Space System Engineering is necessary.
- In particular experience with one or more topics such as:
- SW development (Java, Eclipse)
- Service oriented and component based architectures (OSGi, Karaf)
- Unix/Linux system administration and programming
- Configuration management and build of large SW projects (Git, Maven, Jenkins, Nexus, Gradle)
- Object Oriented design methods and corresponding tools (e.g. MagicDraw)
- Databases: Oracle, Postgres, Hadoop
- SCOS 2000 and the SCOS 2000 MIB ICD
- Experience with the relevant ECSS standards particularly PUS and its tailoring
- An ability to work independently and to establish good working relations with ESA and industrial counterparts is essential.
What we will offer
- A permanent contract with a competitive salary
- Flexible secondary conditions
- Extensive training programs through our Altran Academy
- Training to improve efficiency and provide strength for future career are of course included.
As global leader in innovation and high-tech engineering consulting, we work side by side with our clients in the creation and development of new products and services. We are on the cutting edge of technology and have established ourselves as the go-to partner for technical innovation and process improvement. Altran is proud to be the leader in its field.